Special Events and Presentations

Special Events and Presentations
(Click on links to open these files)

Important Dates in Englewood’s History

WASHINGTON’S ARMY ESCAPES TRAP (1776)
ENGLEWOOD PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT ESTABLISHED (1876)
COMING OF RAILROAD, ENGLEWOOD TOWNSHIP FOUNDED (1859)
HACKENSACK WATER COMPANY CONNECTS MAINS (1886)
ENGLEWOOD HOSPITAL OPENED, TEANECK SEPARATED (1890)
ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS SEPARATED (1894)
ENGLEWOOD GRANTED CITY CHARTER (1899)
ENGLEWOOD FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY OPENED (1901)
ENGLEWOOD FIRE DEPARTMENT ORGANIZED (1912)
ENGLEWOOD CARNEGIE LIBRARY OPENED (1914)
GEORGE WASHINGTON BRIDGE OPENED, DWIGHT MORROW HIGH SCHOOL BUILT (1931)
RACIAL UNREST, POLITICAL CHANGE (1967)
ENGLEWOOD PUBLIC LIBRARY MOVED TO ENGLE ST (1968)
VOTERS APPROVE CHARTER CHANGE (1979)
PALISADES COURT SHOPPING CENTER BUILT (1990)
CHANGE TO ELECTED BOARD OF EDUCATION (2000)
VOTERS OK SCHOOL CONSTRUCTION BOND (2004)

Englewood’s First “Horseless Carriage”

  Englewood Public Library Buildings

Image result for englewood NJ library image
1968 – present

Image result for carnegie library englewood nj

Carnegie Library (1914 – 1968)

No photo description available.

Atheneum (first home of Englewood Library)

Englewood Department of Public Works Building
Architect: James Stewart Polshek

1976 Bicentennial Commemorative Map of Englewood

1979 Who’s Who of Englewood Calendar

Walk/Bike/Hike Tour of Historic Englewood

2000 Centennial Clock Dedication

2009 Sesquicentennial People and Places Tour

2010  Ester Hilliard: 97th Birthday Celebration Citation

2015   From Gatehouse to Gateway to Sports:
the Story of Mackay Park and Sports in Englewood

Dick Button
     

William “Pony” Wilson — Harlem Globetrotters and Educator/Englewood Resident

     

Charlie McGill, longtime “Record Athlete of the Week” Cartoonist” whose grandfather lived in the Gatehouse as a boy

2016     Gatehouse to Music

               

     
Moon and Jonathan Granoff (Kitty Kallen’s son)


Fran Honig (pianist)

2017 Englewood in the Great War:
World War I Exhibition 


Olga Mosciaro (DMHS ’46) with cut-out image of her “Doughboy” father
NVP article “Exhibit Will Focus on Englewood in the Early 20th Century”

2017 City Calendar –Selected Famous Englewood Residents

Englewood Idol Competition

2018

2018 City Calendar — Selected Famous Englewood Residents

Arnold Brown — Recognition by Bergen County
Arnold Brown, whose roots in North Jersey stretch to

2019

The 34th Annual Awards was presented to Tom Siracusa’s Highwood Auto Service, originally Highwood Fire House 2
View “History of Englewood’s Early Fire Houses

2020

“Brinckerhoff Carriage House” by Will Lee

Miscellaneous Lectures:

List of Houses 1924
          List of houses in Englewood in 1924

Notable People from Englewood

2020

Robert Erskine Revolutionary War Maps 19 February

35th Annual Awards Program

Womens Rights Information Center (formerly Greenleaf Funeral Home)

William O. Allison Legacy by Norman Davis

William O Allison and His Legacy

 Flat Rock Brook Nature Center derives its name from the stream which flows in the middle of its property.  The Flat Rock Brook flows downhill from MacFadden’s Pond through the Jones Road picnic area under Jones Road along Walton Street to Crystal Lake and thence to the Hackensack River and New York Harbor.  The steepest and most picturesque part with “flat rocks” lies within a 75 acre rectangle bounded by the Englewood Cliffs border on the east and Jones Road on the west formerly known as Allison Woods Park.  The rest of the nature center property to the north and south is added on to this core.

Allison Woods Park was created by the will of William O Allison who died in 1924 and left the property in trust to be preserved “for the purpose of pleasing God and benefiting my fellow man.”  He also left funds to “maintain” and “develop” the property.  These imprecise instructions were effectively ignored over the years and except for a chain link fence the property was largely unsupervised for thirty years.  In 1952 and again in 1955 the Allison Trustees made an attempt to break the terms of the will and sell all or part of the property.  Strong neighborhood opposition led by Mayor-to-be Ned Feldman resulted in negative Court decisions and an unsuccessful appeal. Reminded of their responsibility the Trustees then developed the lower portion on Jones Road into a public picnic area and created a walking trail along the stream and hired a land manager.

In the late 1960’s growing community sentiment for forest preservation and the new availability of State Greenacres funding led the City of Englewood to commence purchase of adjacent woodland properties to the north and south of Allison Woods.  In 1973 the Flat Rock Brook Nature Association was founded to manage the newly acquired land and establish environmental education programs.  In 1977 the Allison Trustees cited inadequate funds due to embezzlement as a reason for renewing their effort to sell the land.  Opposed this time by the City of Englewood they again lost in the courts.  It was not until 1988 when through the efforts of local attorney Bruce LaSala Flat Rock Brook Nature Association was appointed sole Trustee that this threat was removed and the entire 150 acres came under one management.

William O Allison was a wealthy landowner who founded the borough of Englewood Cliffs after separating from Englewood in 1895.  He was the first Mayor of Englewood Cliffs and much of the borough is built on land he once owned.  He evidently made a judgment that this stream in Englewood cascading down the back of the Hudson Palisades was a valuable natural phenomenon which should be preserved.  We are all in his debt.